[Zoobank-list] Re: Zoobank-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 4

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Wed Feb 28 09:36:49 GMT 2007

On 27 Feb 2007, at 23:35, zoobank-list-request at afriherp.org wrote:

Wolfgang,

To answer your specific question:

> - is there already a prototype (LSID format) for a GUID applicable
> to names
> governed by the Code?

Yes there is. The TDWG standard TCS was passed in 2006 as an XML
schema after much debate. We believe that it captured all that was
necessary to communicate names data. With the advent of the use of
LSIDs we have produced an RDF vocabulary based on this schema that is
currently being used by IPNI and Index Fungorum to issue LSIDs for
names.

I have every confidence that this vocabulary is suitable for use by
ZooBank either in its present form or with minor changes. It is also
quite straight forward to extend the RDF metadata format to add any
ZooBank specific material.

The important thing is that the same basic vocabulary is used for
exchanging nomenclatural data governed by the different codes. A
client application should not have to do something different to
digest an ICZN binomial as opposed to an ICBN binomial.

You can have a look at the vocabulary here:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/TaxonNameLsidVoc

and here

http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonName

http://www.ipni.org link from any of their plant records to a TCS-RDF
version.

This all forms part of a larger vocabulary effort that is described
here:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/LsidVocs

The names vocabulary is the most stable of the set of vocabularies
but others will rapidly solidify as they are planned to be adopted
projects over the next few months. Further documentation and a tidy
up of the wiki are in progress.

I hope this help,

All the best,

Roger